February 28 2018
The Perfect Cupcake Recipe
Need a cupcake recipe that will give you perfectly baked cupcakes each and every time?
Well look no further! In this step by step recipe post we will take you through this simple (but effective) recipe to get your baking results up to scratch.
This easy to use recipe is perfect for bakers and cake decorators of all levels.
The recipe below will yield 24 cupcakes for you to decorate however you wish. Not only that, at the end of the instructions you will find tips on how to transform this basic recipe into many delicious flavour alternatives!
250g (8oz) unsalted butter, softened
250g (8oz) caster sugar
250g (8oz) self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
4 medium eggs
4 tablespoons milk
Ice-cream scoop (optional)
2 x 12-hole muffin tins, lined with paper cases
- Set the oven to 190⁰C/ gas 5 and line 2 x 12-hole muffin tins with paper cases.
- Tip the butter and sugar into a bowl and beat until softened and light in colour.
- In a separate bowl/jug whisk the eggs and milk and whisk until combined.
- Add the flour and salt to the bowl, followed by the milk and egg mixture. Mix on a medium setting until all ingredients are combined - be careful not to over-whisk as this will take away the lightness of your sponge!
- Use a traditional-style ice-cream scoop to divide the mixture between all the paper cases - this is great for consistency. However any tablespoon will work and you can judge the amount of batter in each case by eye.
- Place both muffin tins in the oven and bake for around 15 minutes, then swap over the position of the tins and bake for a further 3-5 minutes until both trays of cupcakes are a light golden colour. During the last few minutes it's worth keeping an eye on them with the door closed if you can!
- Remove the tins from the oven. Leave the cupcakes to cool in the tins for a few minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.
- Once cooled they are ready to decorate!
These cupcakes are best eaten on the day that they're baked, but if necessary, once cooled they can be wrapped in freezer bags and frozen for up to 1 month. They will defrost in approximately 1 hour.
Lemon: Add finely zested rind of 2 lemons to the mixture, and use 4 tablespoons of lemon juice in place of the milk.
Chocolate: Use 2 level tablespoons less flour, and add 2 level tablespoons cocoa powder.
Rose: Use 1-2 tablespoon less milk and replace with 1-2 tablespoons rose water.
Coffee: Omit the milk and instead, use 2 tablespoons instant coffee, dissolved in 4 tablespoons hot water.